We’re an affiliate: We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
The 5 Best Self-cleaning Cat Litter Boxes
- Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Litter-Robot III Open Air
- OurPets SmartScoop Intelligent Litter Box
- Littermaid LM980 Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Are you sick and tired of cleaning up after your kitty, even though you love him or her like another member of your family?
Is it getting more difficult for you to bend over and scoop your cat’s waste products out of his or her litter box multiple times a day?
And, what about that offensive odor of cat feces and ammonia from urine that tends to permeate the homes of those who share their space with feline friends?
There is a solution to these issues that cat owners face daily. There are now self-cleaning litter boxes! But, with so many on the market, which is best and how will you choose which one is right for your cat? Just read this handy guide.
1. Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box
This product is great for larger felines and multi-cat households, and its covered design gives your kitty the utmost privacy.
Once he or she is done, the waste is removed within seconds. While it only works with clumping or silica litter, it doesn’t require electricity or filters due to its unique patented grill.
By rolling the box to right until the top touches the floor, then back into upright position, the mechanism scoops the waste out and deposits it into a pull-out tray for easy removal.
- Product Dimensions: 23.5 x 21.2 x 10.5 inches
- Item Weight: 7.6 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 10.4 pounds
- Item model number: RA20
- It’s very affordable compared to other models.
- The assembly is easy and the device is user-friendly.
- It doesn’t require filters, water hook-ups, or electricity.
- It’s very private for shy cats and large enough for big cats.
- Litter-tracking can occur because of the design, which can be helped by placing a mat underneath it.
- Litter has been known to fall in the disposable tray, which is wasteful.
- It does require manual function, so it’s not truly automatic.
2. ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box
This product works with crystal litter that dries out feces and absorbs urine. Then a rake on an automatic timer removes the waste from the disposable tray and places it in a closed compartment for easy clean-up.
The timer has three convenient settings depending on your cat’s needs, so it will self-clean every 5, 10, or 20 minutes.
You simply load the device with a disposable litter tray filled with the specialized litter. It will come pre-measured so you will have the perfect amount every time.
- Product Dimensions: 19 1/8 x 27 5/8 x 6 3/8 inches
- Item Weight: 6.5 pounds
- The system absorbs up to 20 days of urine, so it’s great for leaving kitty while taking trips.
- Its plastic lining prevents leaks and messes.
- The litter comes with offers up to 5 times better moisture and odor control than average litter.
- It’s less expensive than most models, but it’s still very high in quality.
- The crystal litter is dust-free and doesn’t track much around your home.
- Cats that scratch a lot when burying waste can accidentally damage the cardboard trays, leading to leaks.
- While the crystals prevent the odor of waste products permeating your home, they tend to have their own overpowering odor.
3. Litter-Robot III Open Air
This product, while it looks like a spaceship for cats, is well-regarded as possibly the best self-cleaning litter box on the market.
It is 100% self-scooping and does not require a helping hand like most models.
It cuts down on litter waste by up to 30% with its patented sifting process, which automatically separates waste from clean litter only a few seconds after Snowball exits the commode; usually within 3 – 7 minutes.
This is an improvement on an earlier model made by the same company. Working with all types of litter, it has a spherical, rotating design that removes the waste, and a weight sensor that is able to determine the size of the cat using the box at the time.
The filter keeps every bit of clean litter, saving you a ton of money in the long run, and waste gets dumped into a receptacle that can be removed for easy disposal.
- Product Dimensions: 32 x 24 x 24 inches
- Item Weight: 33.4 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 33.4 pounds
- It works well with all sizes of cats and even in multi-cat households.
- The litter chamber is more spacious than most litter boxes.
- There is an indicator light that tells you the waste drawer is full.
- You will only require 50% of the amount of litter that most models use.
- The manufacturer provides a 90-day money back guarantee and an 18-month warranty.
- It has a night light to assist kitties in answering nature’s call at night.
- The cleaning mechanism is quieter than most.
- It has a very wide opening for larger kitties.
- It is very expensive, though it is less likely to malfunction or break down in any way.
- It is not recommended for tight spaces or small apartments as it is quite large.
- The open door leaves ample opportunity for cats to kick litter outside of the box,
- If you place too much or too little litter in the device, it will not work properly, but it does come with a fill-to line indicator.
4. OurPets SmartScoop Intelligent Litter Box
This litter box comes equipped with technological advancements that can monitor your furry pal’s health and wellness.
As part of a product line that has water and food dishes that do the same, the product comes with a Bluetooth monitoring system that sends you notifications via a smartphone app if your cat’s behavior changes in any way that can cause alarm, such as a difference in elimination amount, frequency, or duration.
The system works only with clumping litter and scoops the box clean 15 minutes after your kitty finishes his business, dumping his or her waste into a no-touch waste bag.
- Product Dimensions: 27 x 17.2 x 7.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 12.1 pounds
- Item model number: 1400013324
- It uses advanced technology to monitor and inform you of any changes in your cat’s toilet habits.
- It works with any brand or type of clumping cat litter.
- The machine’s motor is very quiet and won’t disturb you or frighten your kitty.
- It disassembles easily for cleaning and travel.
- The carbon fiber filters prevent odor from escaping.
- The manufacturer provides a 2-year warranty.
- The litter tends to get kicked out of the box by cats or pushed out by the rake itself when cleaning.
- The waste bags may need to be emptied every day if your cat produces an abundance of waste, or if you have multiple cats.
5. Littermaid LM980 Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box
This box scoops after every use and will provide your household with a clean box for up to 7 days before it needs to be emptied.
You can set it to clean automatically with an on and off switch. It works great if you have multiple cats because it holds 50% more litter than other self-cleaning litterbox brands.
You simply load the charcoal filter and the waste receptacle, which seals tight so no odor escapes before disposal. The high walls also prevent litter tracking throughout your home.
- Product Dimensions: 17.7 x 9.8 x 28 inches
- Item Weight: 13.23 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 13.9 pounds
- Item model number: LM980
- The rake can be easily removed for quick cleaning and maintenance.
- It has carbon fiber filters for odor elimination.
- It prevents litter-tracking with its high walls, ramp, and cleaning pad.
- It is one of the most affordable models on the market.
- It comes with a battery backup for travel and in case you lose power.
- It has a safety bar to stop the rake if the machine should become blocked.
- This model sometimes has to be cleaned manually because it tends to get blocked easily.
- It’s not recommended for multi-cat households or for cats that tend to create a lot of waste.
- It typically only lasts between 2 and 4 years. The motor tends to get loud, and it is not the most durable.
- Putting too much litter in the box can cause the sensors in the device to get extraordinarily dusty, impairing their ability to work properly.
What are the Benefits of a Self-cleaning Cat Litter Box?
There are many benefits to having a self-cleaning litter box. For example, because they free you from scooping the litter, you will have almost no contact with your cat’s waste.
They also provide a clean box for your kitty every time she needs to use the facilities.
These devices also save you money on litter and reduce nasty household odors. And, even if you have multiple cats, you can go on a trip without worrying about waste building up over several days.
How do I Shop for a Self-cleaning Cat Litter Box?
Cats are fussy when it comes to pretty much anything, so you will have to consider your furry friend’s tastes when choosing a kitty commode.
You’ll have to factor in material, size, whether or not the box is enclosed, and what your needs as an owner are.
For example, how much space do you have, and do you mind expanding a bit of elbow grease, or do you want a fully-automated box?
Larger cats will need enough room to turn around, squat and bury their waste, while kittens and smaller felines will need lower sides to climb over, as will those cats with arthritis and joint issues.
Different plastics are more likely to neutralize ammonia and absorb odors better than others and some devices rake out waste more often than others.
Just remember, what you require depends upon how many cats you have and what their (and your) individual needs are.
Things to Consider
Remember to check your device to see what type of litter must be used or is at least recommended to be used with it.
It should specify whether you need that particular brand, or crystals, clumping, or if any type of litter can be used.
Remember, using the wrong type can not only impair the self-cleaning functions of the device, but it can completely shut down all functions, so be very careful when selecting litter.
Also, be sure to select an area of your home that is low-traffic and free of most noise for your litterbox.
Cats don’t like to be startled when they are taking care of their business. It should also be located on a sturdy surface with plenty of free access for their easy use.
And, what happens if your kitty is less than enamored with her new throne? Well, you can familiarize her with the new litterbox by simply placing her old box inside the new one until she gets used to it.
Also, try to keep the automated system off for a few days as not to scare her off. She may be confused and anxious when she hears the noise the box makes for the first time, so have her observe the box self-clean so she can see that it won’t hurt her.
Why Should I Look For Self-cleaning Cat Litter Box?
According to Worldsbestcatlitter, these devices are very convenient for busy pet owners that simply do not have the time to clean, empty, deodorize, and refill a litter box every day.
They sift waste from clean litter, separating unused portions and saving you money in the process. The waste is disposed of in a container or plastic bag that can be easily thrown out in a hurry.
Also, cats tend to turn their noses up at a litter pan that is not 100% clean at all times.
This means you could come home to an unpleasant mess on the floor, in your bathtub, or on the furniture if you don’t have the time to change your buddy’s litter as often as needed. A self-cleaning box eliminates this issue, as it should always stay fresh.
How does a Self-cleaning Cat Litter Box Work?
According to Petmd, most automatic litter boxes contain a compartment on one end of the box or right underneath it.
The litter is then sifted by a mechanical rake and waste is then collected and deposited into the compartment, while odors are also trapped inside by a top or enclosure.
Then, when space is filled, a removable receptacle can be emptied in the trash.